Palanan On My Mind

mwtwhite

palanan-on-my-mindCredits:  Elements – scarlet hells media- JScollabed 2, Sclengeman- Carnival tag 2; Papers – hroselli carnival paper – turquoise, mlima – carnival paper, mmartin carnival paper

Travel doesn’t get much rugged than this. This remote province is only accessible by cargo ship, light aircraft or a trek of several days across the Sierra Madre mountain range. We opted to fly.  In June 2002, we found ourselves exploring Isabela’s best-kept secret, Palanan.   There were lagoons so blue, they called it Blue Lagoon (haha!), we likewise hiked to a really beautiful cascading waterfalls (name escapes me right now), and endless stretches of white sand beaches in the middle of nowhere with hardly anyone except for some occasional encounters with Dumagats fishing.

palanan-marlin

Declared a wilderness area in 1979, the Palanan Wilderness Area is home to several threatened bird species including the Philippine Eagle. Still inhabiting the Palanan coastline, the Dumagat’s lifestyle is relatively unchanged because of the area’s remoteness.

Its inaccessibility is both a hurdle and a lure to adventure-seekers.  Nestled in the farthest eastern corner of the province of Isabela, bounded by the Pacific Ocean.  Palanan is what I call P.A.R.A.D.I.S.E!

palanan1

Not only is it paradise, it has its fair share of history as well.  It was in Palanan that the Philippine-American war ended in Mar 23, 1901 when Emilio Aguinaldo was captured by American forces who gained access to Aguinaldo’s camp by pretending to surrender to the Filipinos.

An off the beaten path worth exploring.

For more That’s My World entries, head on to their site here.

This entry was posted in Isabela, Palanan, Philippines and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Palanan On My Mind

1. Esther Garvi says:

So when are you going back??
    Looks wonderful!

2. Louise says:

That water looks heavenly!

3. lawstude says:

if you ask me, i prefer to go to these kind of places than the normal tourist traps/spots because there is a sense of accomplishment in going to these never-been-featured places of our country.

although i have my fill recently of famous spots like boracay, pagudpud, camiguin and the likes, deep inside, i still crave for places such as the one you featured here. thank you for sharing.

Hi Esther, I want to indeed go back soon, perhaps next year.

Louise, yes the water is really lovely, a tad too cold (if my memory serves me right) which is probably why we were all on the raft. 🙂

Lawstude, yes you must make your way there someday. Not easy, I was just lucky to know someone who was doing some research in that area then.

5. Jean says:

Hi, I wish I could visit Palanan someday.

I would like to invite you to join “smiley sunday” meme at http://clixbucks.com. Hope to see you there.

6. Gattina says:

It looks like paradise !

7. Fishing Guy says:

Jenn: That looks like a great place to visit. What a neat fish to capture.

8. magiceye says:

thank you for the lovely tour of Palanan

9. maureen joy says:

yeah not just palanan… but some other places in isabela… we have also caves… and mountain were u cannot forgot.. isabela is greate place!!!

10. Barb says:

Hi Jenn,
    You are quite an adventuress! Your blog is beautiful. I may have to visit often as I’m somewhat an “armchair traveler.” However, Mary, my best friend, is much like you describe yourself – she’s now in Argentina with her husband, & will spend next month in Uruguay. She’s a retired teacher like me. Her blog (Castaway Kuopus) is listed on my site.
    Stay Well.

11. Dora says:

That looks like a “flying” fish with a sword like mouth! ;p

12. Catherine says:

Is that a huge sailfish in the first picture??impressive!

13. Lew says:

Interesting place! I hope that the remoteness will keep it as a special place where nature rules and not the tourist industry.

14. Lantaw says:

Looks like great place! that marlin is huge!

15. Paranan says:

Nice read and photos as well.. Thank you for featuring Palanan or Paranan in our native tongue. I basically grew up there before I came to Manila for College. I must say that it is a “Lost Paradise”.. Lost because it is a very remote area which is virtually unknown to the outside world and travel is quite difficult but already an adventure in itself..Paradise because almost, if not all, tourist spots there are virtually untouched..

I am currently in the process of developing a blog which is solely dedicated to promote Palanan, my beloved Hometown!

16. Paranan says:

Me again! 😀 I have mentioned in my previous post that I have just started my blog, my first one actually, and its all about Palanan. I have decided to feature articles, blog etc. in my blog and I would like to ask your permission if I could feature yours. Thank you in advance! 🙂

17. Pingback: Palanan On My Mind | Paranan – The Lost Paradise

18. This my kind of place. I wish I could visit it soon and experience all its glory and rawness before it’s too late.

19. azir says:

life in palanan is so simple,. but you can experience the real beauty of Gods creation!