The Kenai Fjord Surprise

Alaska was a surprise.  Didn’t think I’d enjoy it as much as I enjoyed it.  It was a great choice of a destination for my “big trip” that I aim to do every couple of years.  What an experience. We would like to think that we did pretty well even though we didn’t achieve all that we’ve set out to see and do.  There were lakes, wildlife and activities that will have to wait till next time but I’m happy and whatever we saw beyond this point would be a real bonus.  Guess what, we got that bonus.

Orcas.  Yes the killer whale.  As suggested by the lady from our hostel, we had a great chance of seeing orcas in Kenai Fjord.

So soon after we got ourselves settled, we were on a boat headed towards Kenai Fjord just 15 minutes from town.

Not only does it have some of the most beautiful fjords and glaciers in Alaska, it also offers one of the best wildlife spectacles. Humpbacks and killer whales, sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and puffins flock the park’s waters.

As promised, that boat ride never lacked wildlife sightings.  It was a thrill to see tons of sea lions basking in the sun,

birds flying all around and of course,

breaching humpbacks that never cease to amaze.

What capped it all however, were the orcas.  It was “goosebump” awesome.

A perfect way to end an awesome trip.  Well… ok, technically, we still had 2 more days in Alaska and a few more sights that are worth posting, but our Kenai Fjord experience has, without a doubt, left indelible memories.

Visit Scenic Sunday for more scenes from around the world.

Scenic Sunday

This entry was posted in Alaska, Seward, USA and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Kenai Fjord Surprise

1. grace says:

nice shots..love them

2. Rinkly Rimes says:

I love the way yourr photographs are presented! And the shots of the whale are great! How exciting!

3. Gemma says:

Wow! These insights into Alaskan landscapes are so awesome! What an exciting experience for you!

4. eileeninmd says:

I love the whale photos, Alaska is a beautiful place.

5. Tammie says:

this is a wonderful group of photos.

6. What a wonderful adventure, the kind I would like to take some day!

7. quiltworks says:

Beautiful photographs. I love the style of muted tones, and your framing is fantastic – really goes with the style and color and enhances it. I can see it as a set you can sell with good results. Beautiful work. I’ll be back! I always enjoy coming here, never disappointed in your creativity

8. Joe Todd says:

The whole trip must have been an awsome experience

9. sniehans says:

Beautiful! Would love to go one day! Thanks for sharing them!

10. Helena says: