Maira-ira, Kiteboarding and Happy Memories

There’s something about white sand and strong waves crashing on the shore that evoke memories of my childhood.  Perhaps because my earliest recollection of the beach was when I was 4, living in the US with my family (of course), vacationing then in Miami Beach.  I played with the waves, trying not to get my feet wet by outrunning the waves crashing on shore.  Fun but futile because I think I ended up wet anyway.

Approach to our resort — Hannah’s (shhh… it looks better from afar!)

We arrived at Maira-ira point practically sundown and oblivious to how pristine the beach across the street from our resort was.  We woke up to an overcast morning, greeted with strong amihan winds.  Perfect for surfers, I thought.

Well, there you have it… it was the first time I saw kiteboarders in action.  I learned about this sport from a friend J a few years back.

And what do you know?  It was J surfing the waves on his kiteboard.  It was fascinating to watch and I’m sure more than thrilling to be on board.

That’s not J!  Tee hee!   😀

J’s been convincing me to try it… yeah, yeah!  Perhaps someday… for now, I’m happy wading through the waves.

The Blue Lagoon, as it is aptly known, is nestled around hills on a crescent cove that can be truly private and hidden from the mainstream beach-combing crowd.

I like my beach that way.

From the road, partly hidden from trees and other vegetations, a sign pointing to some stairs leads to the beach.

sand up close

Sand definitely not “Boracay” fine but I like it that the tiny white pebbles stay put in super strong winds.  God knows best, doesn’t He?

This entry was posted in Ilocos, Maira-ira, Philippines and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Maira-ira, Kiteboarding and Happy Memories

1. fickleinpink says:

‘love ALL of them!

I’m going to stay and follow!

Come and visit my pad if you have the time.
    xoxo, Fickle

mine’s here:
    RED is in the air in Bagiuo City

2. What marvelous captures of a gorgeous place! Sounds as though much fun was had! Delightful post, Jenn! Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sylvia

3. Marites says:

I’d try that but I’d rather try it with somebody who’s an expert:) love the peebles pic you took. Yes, nature is amazing!! Love your pics of Maira-ira..been wanting to go there but for some reason, our time’s just too tight to include it in our itinerary. Hopefully, next time we’ll be ablel to visit it.

4. Guy D says:

Excellent pics, and I must say I love your header photo, its outstanding.

All the best
    Guy
    Regina In Pictures

5. lawstude says:

i ahve been to maira-ira a couple of times and despite of the verl long trave hours, i won’t mind going back there. nice shots.

6. Japa says:

Really gret place for adventure. Neat photos, too!

7. Evelyn says:

Nice shots. I love the first one the most – beautiful.

8. Pamela says:

it looks terribly inviting. (can I say terribly when I mean something wonderful ?)

9. Bern says:

The child within is calling us to us through our memories of an enchanting past. It can be found yet again in the moment as if one were gliding upon the waves of life and soaring through the skies, feeling the sensations that stimulates the essence of our very being.