Torongan Cave: Not To Miss in Itbayat

When asked about the places I have liked the most in my travels, high up there with Africa, my answer would always include Batanes. When I look back at the adventures I had in this northernmost province of the Philippines,

our trek to Torongan cave in Itbayat was a highlight for sure… the state of wonderment, unforgettable.

It was a 20-30 minute hike from a gate to the cave entrance, passing through a forest.

And from this spectacular cave entrance is a relatively easy walk down the large cavern leading to a wall that opens to the sea.

This opening is believed to be the entry point of the Austronesians from Taiwan to the island some 4000 years ago. An excavation done on Torongan cave in 2004 uncovered the oldest artifacts so far found in Batanes.

But it isn’t the cave per se that impressed me.  We exited the cave where we entered,

we walked further and found ourselves climbing up some boulders to a rocky pasture land,

revealing the coast, and Dinem Island in the distance, a view so jaw-dropping beautiful.

The dramatic change in scenery atop the cave was an experience stuck in my memory to this day.

We wandered around in awe.

The view majestic at every turn.

Walking back, we passed through several ancient burial grounds shaped like a boat, albeit hard to discern.

If you have limited time in Itbayat, make Torongan cave your first stop and be awed.

This entry was posted in Batanes, Itbayat, Philippines and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Torongan Cave: Not To Miss in Itbayat

1. Andrea says:

My friends went there too, I am envious but it is the long hours by boat which fights my interest. Just the boat to Sabtang, which is only 40 min already scares me. So i just content myself in reading travelogues like yours. I noticed some foreigners are with you in the group.

• Jenn says:

Hi Andrea, you can now fly to Itbayat and it only takes 12 minutes to get there.
      Yes, I am traveling with French guy who has made his home in the Philippines for over a decade so he considers himself Filipino and has actually travelled to more provinces than I have.

2. ewok1993 says:

I like the hike part,but I’m not much of a cave fan. A little claustrophobia.

3. Luna Miranda says:

these photos make my feet itch! i’d love to explore the cave but the coast/cliff is breathtaking–i can stay here the whole day.:p

4. Tito Eric says:

Incredible pictures galore. I really should visit Batanes, especially soon, before China claims it. 🙂

Cheers … visiting from Our World Tuesday!

Here’s mine:

5. ladyfi says:

What a lovely place!

6. Fun60 says:

That view from inside the cave looking out to see is awesome.

7. Boom & Gary says:

Stunning area!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

8. Nice Itbayat Trip 🙂
    Thanks for considering Batanes…

RYAN L. CARDONA