Photo Hunt: Hands

photohunter7iq3ph-hands

The Massais make fire by hand without matches.  Although still living in primitive abode made of cow dung, it is uncertain whether the tribe still actually use this mode of fire making.  Noted as a vanishing tribe, the Massais struggle to keep their culture as modern influences lurk around their surroundings.  More on the Massais here.

This entry was posted in Africa, Kenya and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Photo Hunt: Hands

1. marites1034 says:

might take a loooong time to start a fire with hands. I find that quite admirable though. my PH entry is up too.

2. Dianne says:

That’s really a good play on the theme. It’s a good skill to know!

3. Mojo says:

Great take on the theme and a brilliant photo!

4. crazyworkingmom says:

Wow, this is amazing! Good for them for sticking to their guns and keeping their tribal traditions in tact no matter what their surroundings. 🙂
    Great take on the theme.
    Thanks for stopping by to visit my hands photo.

5. Christi says:

I love this shot. I so admire groups that hang on their traditions and fight tooth and nail not to be dragged into a questionable future. Thanks for visiting my photo, see you next time.

6. aliceaudrey says:

Excellent photo! Good take on the theme too. I have to admire them for their determination.

7. Baba says:

Hi Jenn, I have enjoyed your story of Africa and the experience must have been great… hands can do many things … thanks for your visit to my place today…. hugs, Baba

8. Annie says:

Excellent photo and take on the theme. Thanks for the introduction to the Massais. Thanks for visiting mine and have a great weekend!

9. Tab says:

Very interesting! Great picture.

10. Great image. Mkes me feel like I am right there. I was never able to create fire that way, although Idid have luck with a magnifying glass. Glad I stopped by.

11. ann says:

Your green banner is so wonderful to see…things are starting to green up around here too…

Now for the photo hunt… wonderful photo of those hands making fire… it is hard to think there are still people doing that. Now, I’m going back to read more of them!

12. That’s a great shot. I admire cultures who have remained strong and intact despite modernization.