PhotoHunt: Four

photohunter7iq1ph-4x4b

Credits:  Frame – Akiloune kit so natural cadre

Taking a 4X4 off-road jeep makes trekking Mt. Pinatubo a walk in the park.  What used to be a whole day trek requiring overnight camping in 1999 (when we first trekked this beautiful landscape) is now down to 1 hour of 4X4 ride and about 45 minutes hike to the crater lake.  A far cry eh?

ph-4x4

This was taken 5 years ago when the service of 4X4s already existed but still required a grueling 2 hour trek to the crater and hours of rutty ride to the jump-off.  The experience however made the journey exceptionally memorable.

In June 1991, after more than 4 centuries of slumber, this volcano erupted so violently (coupled with an unfortunate tropical storm) that its ashes covered almost the entire island of Luzon and permanently changed the landscape of Pampanga, Tarlac and Olongapo.  Hundreds of millions of dollars in prime properties and infrastructure was likewise ruined.

pinatubo-crater

The crater lake as it looked in 2004.

Source: http://park.org/Philippines/pinatubo/ and

This week’s Photo Hunt theme is Four.  To join the fun or enjoy more entries, please click here.

This entry was posted in Pampanga, Philippines, Pinatubo and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to PhotoHunt: Four

1. I’m sure you had fun with your adventure with 4×4.

2. Sandy says:

Looks like a wonderful vacaton.
    Mine’s up, too

3. sassy mom says:

Oooh… a 4 wheel drive — must have a been a cool ride!

4. It’s beautiful! I’d love an adventure like that.

Maybe someday, as my husband has had about all the adventures he needs right now! My photo is up with a reunion of four after he returned from Iraq.

5. Tina says:

Now that looks like fun!

6. Carin says:

Wow what a wonderful crater lake! A trip with a jeep is always fun.

7. Oh my! the crater lake is too beautiful! This is in the Philippines!? Wow!

8. WOW!!! What great photos! The only photos I’ve seen on Crater Lake are from the sky. It’s great seeing the ashy “beach.” Amazing.

I moved my Photo Hunters to my new photo blog. Please visit if you can!

Have a great weekend!

9. liz says:

What a beautiful place! Which method was best though?

@Liz: I’d go for the combination. It was fun and much easier. 🙂

Thanks!

11. 2sweetnsaxy says:

Looks like such fun. Reminds me of going with a friend of mine who used to do off-roading.
    🙂