I love sausages and always have a few stashed in my freezer. These tasty bangers save the day for me many times over. There are days when A is famished and I am worn out. This scrumptious dish has become a winner because it does not ask for much attention or preparation for that matter and yet delivers such great flavors. I’ve experimented quite a bit on this and one can use anything to team this up with but the combined flavors of kielbasa with apples is simply amazing. Sweet and savory is my favorite thing of late and this dish incorporated with onions, garlic and some carrots simmered with a bit of broth… delightful. And the gratifying part is all you need really is to slice up the veggies, pop in the oven and voila. Happiness is…
A Simple Sausage Supper *adapted from Jules’ Stonesoup
- 1 brown onion, peeled & cut into segments
- 2 small apples, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 small carrots
- 1 small head garlic, unpeeled but broken into individual cloves
- 2-3 thick pork sausages
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Place the apples and other veggies in a baking tray, drizzle with some olive oil, top with the sausages and pop it in the oven.
- After about 30 minutes, give everything a stir and add the stock.
- Bake for another 30 minutes or so until the veggies and bangers are brown and the stock has reduced and thickened a bit.
The recipe actually called for another hour in the oven but I wanted more stock left just because it goes so well with rice. Go with 1 hour if you prefer the dish drier and the sausages browner.
Remember that very little is needed to make a happy life. -Marcus Aurelius