Panagbenga

mwtwhite2flower

My visit to Baguio,our summer capital coincided with the Panagbenga Festival.  I was there more to support my friends’ participation in the 4×4 off road challenge in La Trinidad.

4x41

But I obviously will not pass up the chance to witness even just a glimpse of the well- attended festival.  We failed on our first attempt to even get close to the area so the following day, we woke up really early (like 5AM), walked to Session Rd. and caught the commencement of the parade.  Come join me in the festivities!

crowd

crowds-2

Panagbenga is a kankanay term for “a season of blooming”.  It is also known as the Baguio Flower Festival.  It is held during the month of February, a month-long annual flower festival and was created as a tribute to the city’s flowers and as a way to rise from the devastation of the 1990 Luzon earthquake.

jimmsjolibeelhuilierpharoah

san-miguel

The festival includes floats that are decorated with flowers.  It also includes street dancing presented by dancers clad in flower-inspired costume, that is inspired by the Bendian, an ibaloi dance of celebration that came from the Cordillera Region, where Baguio is.

panagbenga-dancersband

We didn’t stay to catch the actual parade as there was just too many people and I don’t particularly like crowds.  We instead decided to go to the market while everyone was busy with the festival but I was pleased to have witnessed even just a glimpse of the Panagbenga Festival.

This is my entry to this week’s My World Tuesday.  For a glimpse of more worlds, click here.

Source:  Wikipedia

This entry was posted in Baguio, Cordillera, Philippines and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Panagbenga

1. SandyCarlson says:

That’s a beautiful celebration. So many beautiful flowers!

2. Whoa! My eyes would never get enough of these beautifully decorated floats! Thanks for sharing them.

3. chrome3d says:

Creating a sphinx or a giant coffee mug from flowers sounds so much fun! What a funny parade it is.Thanks!

4. I love the floats. Very pretty photos.

5. Esther Garvi says:

I am always amazed at the amount of work people put together during festivals. It’s almost surreal!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Warm greetings from the other side of the planet,
    Esther

6. Arija says:

I hate to thonk how many flowers it took to make all tose floats! A great parade though and it must have beenwonderful to be there and part of it all.

7. Glennis says:

So much work has gone into making those floral floats, they look so great. The street dancers look most unusual too. good post.

8. Mojo says:

Sweet! Reminds me of the Rose Parade in Pasadena at New Year’s.

And I really love that next to last shot. Fabulous!

9. 2sweetnsaxy says:

What fun that must have been and you got some great shots to show for it.

10. lawstude says:

i stood in line early so that i could get a vantage point of the entire event. really a wonderful visual experience.

11. bettyl says:

Those are great pictures! the details are breath-taking. thanks so much for sharing.

12. Lantaw says:

Haven’t been to this festival… Thanks for sharing the pics